Monday, June 9, 2008

Mustang Oil, Greensboro, Alabama *****

I love this place! It's exactly what it purports to be -- no more, no less. Well, it sorta is more -- 'cause some of the food really is good, and the scene is fun. And there's this terrific waitress who can remember the orders of at least 20 folks at one time! The place is a converted gas station which now serves as a very casual "restaurant," for lack of a better word. (Upscale it ain't.) It's also a community gathering place and, uh, "information disseminator," if ya know what I mean. (You can come here to catch up on all the latest news in the area.) Another thing I love about Mustang Oil is its diversity of clientele. You'll see everybody from the judge to the day laborer -- and you'll probably have a conversation with 'em. There are a number of tables, but lots of folks get take-out. The menu consists of barbeque and fried catfish, with all the trimmins'. They also have other items -- burgers, etc. And the French fries and coleslaw are really good. (No frozen French fries here -- thank god!) Beer is available, and, of course, lots and lots of sweet tea. The only negative I'd give Mustang Oil is that my party did not at all like the barbeque, but that's 'cause we're not from the region and every region has its own favorite type of barbeque. Folks in Greensboro probably love Mustang Oil barbeque. I myself, while I agreed with others in my party about the barbeque pork sandwiches, absolutely LOVE Mustang Oil's barbequed CHICKEN -- not at all dried out as lots of barbequed chicken is. Moist, flavorful -- yum! Mustang Oil, Edna Earl loves ya!

No comments: